Living with Family

Share this article:

This is becoming more and more popular with people choosing properties with granny flats for mum or dad as they age.


  • Satisfaction of being able to look after a loved one
  • Benefits for the person you are caring for being cared for by someone who knows and loves them
  • Able to stay close to family
  • Carers are those you know well
  • Can create stronger relationships between family.


  • Can put alot of pressure on the family member who is the carer
  • Can cause problems with extended family e.g. money
  • Can change the relationship the family carer has with the older person e.g. changing from daughter to carer
  • Financial cost to carer from receiving a lesser income
  • Time cost to carer – unable to get out and do things when you want to
  • Caregiver Burnout, being constantly on call
  • Lack of formal training and knowledge, which may mean the best possible care is not provided.


The below information is directly from Work and Income.

Who can get it?

You may be able to get the Supported Living Payment if you are:

  • permanently and severely restricted in your ability to work because of a health condition, injury or disability, OR
  • totally blind, OR
  • caring full-time for someone at home who would otherwise need hospital-level or residential care (or equivalent) who is not your husband, wife or partner.

You must also be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who normally lives here, and who has lived here for at least two years at one time since becoming a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident. If not, please talk to us as you may qualify for the Emergency Benefit, or we may have an agreement with the country where you’ve been living.
Read about New Zealand's social security agreements with other countries.

If you’re a full-time carer

To get the Supported Living Payment because you're a full-time carer, you need to be caring full-time for someone at home who isn't your husband, wife or partner. The person you’re caring for must otherwise need to receive hospital or residential-level care.

Examples of this level of care are:

  • rest home care
  • residential disability care
  • extended care services for severely disabled children and young people
  • inpatient or residential hospital care.

As part of the application process we’ll need to see medical information from the doctor or specialist of the person you’re caring for.

If you have a partner

If you’re a full-time carer for someone and you have a partner, your partner can’t be included in your Supported Living Payment. Talk to us if they need financial assistance.