Share this article:

When it comes to homecare there a variety of services and companies that can assist to support people to remain living independently at home. Some are funded and some you would need to access privately.

To find out what you are funded for you would need to be assessed. To start this process you would need to visit your doctor and he/she will be able to organise for an assessment to take place. This will generally occur in your home on a day and time arranged between you and the assessor. It can take a while due to high demands for the assessment to take place, you can always use a private company in the interim to get you started, however you would need to fund this yourself.

Additional Information at this time will also be provided on non-funded services such as:

  • Support Groups
  • Delivered Meals
  • Shopping Services
  • Private Care
  • Medical Alarms
  • Equipment for the home
  • Transportation

There are a variety of companies that provide home based care. The time you spend in choosing a company is extremely important as you want to know that the support you have in place is happening safely and professionally:

Funded (if criteria met)

Personal Care

  • Eating or drinking
  • Dressing
  • Showering
  • Mobility

Home Help

There are limits to what a company may be able to do as set out by the funding contract. E.g. cannot move furniture, cannot do anything above certain heights, cannot clean ovens or windows. The role of this carer is to keep the household going and functioning not to be a cleaner.

Tasks that are funded under Home Help

  • House tidying and cleaning
  • Clothing Washing 
  • Meal preparation

Not funded you would need to privately pay

Additional supports e.g.: 

  • Companionship
  • Live in / 24 hr Care
  • Sleepovers (usually not funded for over 65)


  • Able to stay in a place you are comfortable and familiar and receive the care you need
  • Remaining at home will mean you get to keep all your things and pets around you
  • It may be less costly than other options
  • With the assistance of a carer you can remain as independent as possible


  • You may need to purchase additional equipment or services.
  • Support carers only available at set times arranged with you
  • Carers may change or not arrive
  • Some tasks the funded company may not be able to complete

Funding Options

The below information is directly from Work and Income.

You can get Home and Community Support Services if you:

  • are under 65 years old
  • meet Disability Support Services’ eligibility requirements
  • have had a needs assessment saying you need home-based support services.

Household management is only available to:

  • people who have a Community Services Card
  • children under the age of 16 whose parents/caregivers have a Community Services Card.

If you are not eligible you would need to access a private homecare service and fund this yourself.